Human beings can survive for about 5 weeks without eating food. But if a person tried to go without water for only 3 to 5 days, he or she couldn't survive. Water is that important. And if your stranded on an island, that piece of information is going to be extremely helpful. So, your welcome!
How does being dehydrated effect my skin?
- When dehydrated, the digestive waste products may seek exit through the skin, causing breakouts. Ew, I know. Your gagging. So am I.
- Puffy and baggy eyes can be the result of water retention, which is often caused by not drinking enough water.
- Swelling of the face can be caused by not getting enough H20.
- Dehydration can increase the symptoms of health disorders, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, mood disorders, etc.
- Dehydration causes fatigue, which shows up on your face. Besides being a slug, your mood will also displease your colleagues and your children. Husbands, I give you full permission to give your wife a water IV.
The rule of thumb is simple. Take your body weight in pounds. Divide by two. That's the number of ounces of water your body needs on a normal day. Please note; I am saying WATER, Diet Coke doesn't count. Although, that would be fun.
In fact, many fluids are actually dehydrating to your body, such as alcoholic and caffeinated beverages. If you drink these, you may need to drink even more water to make up for it. (I can hear all you coke lovers bawling) .
If you live in a humid climate, it's easier to have great skin. HOORAY! Something positive for all those people in Florida. Happy day! You lose less moisture from your skin on a day to day basis than people who live in dry climates.
If you live in a dry climate, you should get a humidifier to add moisture back into the air.
Some people drink Gatorade or other electrolyte drinks for replenishment. They aren't recommended, as they contain sugars that raise blood glucose levels, plus artificial flavors, none of which are good for your skin. Hear that, Melanie Warner?
Take from this post, three things:
- Drink half your weight of water in ounces.
- Drinking other fluids, such as sodas and coffee, doesn't give you the same benefits as drinking water.
- Please still love me, even though the next few days you will be peeing like a racehorse.